Top 10 Excuses For Late Tax Returns
Who would have thought it… HMRC have got a sense of humour?!
With the impending deadline for filing of tax returns on 31st January 2014 they’ve released a list of the “Top 10 Excuses For Late Tax Returns”.
The following bizarre excuses have all been used by taxpayers trying to avoid paying the £100 late filing fee:
- My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
- I had a run-in with a cow (Midlands farmer)
- After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else (London woman)
- My wife won’t give me my mail (self-employed trader)
- My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him (Leicester hairdresser)
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play (Coventry writer)
- My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is (a working taxi driver)
- I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land (South East man)
- Our business doesn’t really do anything (Kent financial services firm)
- I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns (London accountant)
All of these people and businesses received a £100 penalty from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for filing late. They appealed against the decision using these excuses, but were unsuccessful. Strange that!
So, we hope you are all busy getting your tax returns complete…or have got an excuse ready that’s better than the ones above.
And if you haven’t done your tax return or got a water-tight excuse get in touch now before it’s too late. H&H Accountants are here to help… Just call
Taunton (01823) 325610
Ilminster (01460) 52666